Most of us living here know what the connection between Kool-Aid, Reuben Sandwiches and Johnny Carson is, but with our Nation’s birthday this week, we thought we might dig a little deeper to find some lesser known facts about our home state. So without further ado (or mention of a certain aquifer), here are some interesting facts about Beautiful Nebraska!
- In Blue Hill, Nebraska, no female wearing a "hat that would scare a timid person” can be seen eating onions in public.
- In Omaha, a parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a church service and so can a man if he is seen with a shaved chest.
- In Lehigh it is against the law to sell doughnut holes.
Nebraska is home to the world’s largest:
- hand-planted forest (Halsey National Forest)
- porch swing, which is located in Hebron. It can seatt 25 adults.
- Daniel Freeman claimed the nation’s first homestead near Beatrice.
- In 1986, two women ran against each other for a state governorship for the first time.
- Whittier Jr. High in Lincoln was the first junior high school in the nation.
Pine Ridge, NE is a CDP (Census Designated Place) that has a liquor store for every 3.5 people that live there (14 residents and 4 liquor stores).
Dannebrog, NE is home to the National Liar’s Hall of Fame (you should probably look this up—bizarre).
Around 1770, the Omaha became the first tribe on the Northern Plains to adopt equestrian culture.
A startling 40% of the munitions used in WWII were manufactured at the Naval Ammunition Depot in Hastings.
Kearny, Nebraska is located exactly halfway between Boston and San Francisco, 1,733 miles on either side.
And lastly--do you know the story of the two doomed lovers in the Legend of Blackbird Hill?
Connect with Envoy
@EnvoyInc on Twitter
New post: When Is an Internship Not Your Average Internship? http://t.co/MtGdThUp8NThu, 05/09/2013 - 11:15
RT @PRSANebraska:Thank you #MayLuncheon speakers: @EnvoyInc's @katbron and @BCBSNebraska 's Andy Williams & @lovgrenmarketing Linda Lovgren!Tue, 05/07/2013 - 13:35
RT @envoyinc: thanks to Envoyer @mikeybau for sharing this great article on #UX and why it needs to be a community effort....Wed, 05/01/2013 - 17:46
thanks to Envoyer @mikeybau for sharing this great article on UX and why it needs to be a community effort. http://t.co/1IpBbRVxNiWed, 05/01/2013 - 17:40
so proud of our AMA Awards! Congratulations to our clients @BoysTownMission @HilandDairy @HilandIceCream @FirstNEBankFri, 04/26/2013 - 10:07
Latest Blog Posts
- When Is an Internship Not Your Average Internship?
- Art Theft on the High Plains
- Want to Work at a Really Cool Place?
- Program Testing: An Ongoing Saga
- You're Awesome! But Do You Know Why?
- Nine Things You Didn't Know You Wanted to Learn About Nebraska
- Your Guide to Planning Web Projects
- You know you’re at South by Southwest when…
- A Leap Day to Remember ...
- Three Strikes…It’s a Turkey!